Monday, June 18, 2012

Visas (AHHHHH!!)

The Definition of Visa:
Visa: (noun)  1. The word that brings confusion (and annoyance)  to every person going to Spain for the year. 2. The annoying little stamp (I think its a stamp... Not sure.) that is so hard to get and costs way too much money (the visa does not cost that much but the whole process of going and getting it cost too much).

 And if you are going to Spain for the year and you are not confused (or annoyed) about your visa one of two things is occurring:
1. (Most likely) You are lying.
2. You have no brain.

Here is the basic gist of our problem:

First of all you should know that the visa process for Spain is long and complex. There are about 15 required documents you have to have and then once you have all of these papers you have to go to the consulate that "governs" your area. For some people it is like, "Yay! We get to go on a 4 hour drive to Houston!" or something to that effect. But for others (like me) we get to go, "Yay! We get to go on a 12 hour drive to San Francisco!" Super annoying. Or we could fly but it is really expensive (like my ticket to NYC in September was cheaper. Yes it is one-way but still...). And then you have to rent a car and do all of that fun stuff. Anyway, we had to get about a bazillion papers including, but not limited to an FBI background check (now I am in the system. Dangit.) and Application forms and acceptance letters from Spain and proof of Insurance and a medical thingy ( I still need to do that...) and pay the people money. And there is still more I just got tired of listing stuff. Oh, and a bunch of that stuff needs an Apostille, which as far as I know is some sort of authentication thing that says it is real, and you have to get these from your State Government and the US Government (it depends on the paper who you send it to...). And I am not saying it is wrong or overly complex; it is just hard.

Now the problem. We had to get Passport copies and parental consent forms and get those notarized and "apostilled" (i made that word up. :)  ) and then send them to AFS. But we didn't know if AFS was sending them back or not and then whether we had to get new ones or if we still had some or what. (And it turns out that the requirements for a Visa might be different depending on the consulate (which is dumb, they should all be the same)) So now we still have papers to get and other stuff to do before I can go to the Consulate.

Oh, and speaking of Consulates:

You have to go in person to a Consulate and you have to have an appointment, bring all of the documents and stuff like that. And then it takes 4 weeks for them to process you visa paperwork and mail you visa to you with you passport (they keep your passport and then mail it to you with the visa in it). And you have to make your visa appointment early because the fill up. So I made my visa appointment for July 26th (which is only in 5 weeks) and I still have stuff I need from Spain but they can't send that to me until I send them stuff from school that I still don't have that still needs to be translated before I can send it to them.

But we'll manage. I hope.

And on a completely unrelated note I have my first spanish lesson tomorrow! Yay! I am excited but I need to go study...

So basically, visas are one of the most annoying things on the planet.

3 comments:

  1. i second that. it has beeeennnnn such a ridiculous process!

    ReplyDelete
  2. visas are beyond awful! definitely agreed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear you bro, I don't know what half of the documents are, I still don't know who's translating my school documents, and I am goin to be away for the remainder of the summer in Miami which has a consulate but I cant go 2 because its not the one I am assigned 2.... fml...

    ReplyDelete